Arctic Cat is aiming an all-new 2018 ZR 6000R SX snocross race machine at the top step of the podium this season thanks to a wide array of technological improvements that deliver improved handling, greater predictability in rough conditions, optimal ergonomics and better throttle response.The result of an intense effort by the Arctic Cat Engineering and Race Departments, the 2018 ZR 6000R SX snocross machine is new from nose-to-tail, with more than 350 new parts compared to the previous year.
“Many of the improvements we’ve made to the 2018 ZR 6000R SX were inspired and proven by the Pro Open snocross sleds raced by Tucker Hibbert and Logan Christian during the past several years,” said Brian Dick, Arctic Cat High Performance/Race Product Team Manager. “In fact, both racers played a big role in the testing and development of the new sled and, after some late spring testing, confirmed the huge improvements we were aiming for.”
It starts with a longer 15 x 136 x 1.75-in. SnoCross track and revised SLIDE-ACTION rear suspension that deliver improved traction for holeshots and acceleration, greater straight-line stability on a rough race course; and improved traction while braking. A new rail profile places 6-in. more rail contact on the snow (compared to the previous 129-in. track) for improved bump compliance and reduced bottoming on the chassis.
It’s matched by the new ARS front suspension featuring increased caster, adjustable camber and increased ground clearance. The result is significantly improved handling that’s more predictable and confidence-inspiring, as well as increased cornering bite. Racers will appreciate a full range of ergonomic improvements to the new ZR 6000R SX, including a new lightweight seat design that works in concert with a new, ultra-compact 3-gallon fuel tank, Next Gen side panel bodywork and a new console to allow easier movement around the sled, especially for cornering, as well as a lower center-of-gravity.
Racers will be able to move further forward on the sled while cornering, with more clearance for legs and knees. New foot enclosures complement the upgrades.
Weight was trimmed everywhere. Besides the seat and lightweight fuel tank, a new hollow driven shaft, headlight assembly and revised chassis components shave off several pounds to offset the marginal weight increase of the longer track and rear suspension.
When it comes to holeshots and accelerating out of corners, a heavily revised Arctic Cat C-TEC2 6000 EFI engine delivers a 15% increase in horsepower and torque and a 20-percent improvement throttle response at low- and mid-range levels thanks to new cylinder and exhaust valve configuration, revised calibration mapping and V-FORCE reeds.
The massive changes and upgrades reflect Team Arctic’s desire to give its racers the most potent stock snocross snowmobile, from the Junior class to Pro. It reflects many of the same features and technology used on previous Pro Open sleds piloted Tucker Hibbert and Logan Christian. And both racers spent considerable time testing the all-new production racer.
“We took a lot of the ideas we’ve been using on my winning Pro Open sled the past two years and applied them to the new race ZR,” said Tucker Hibbert. “The changes to the front suspension made it better than anything we’d previously used on our race sled. From a handling standpoint, this is the best stock ZR we’ve ever had. It’s more stable and tracks straight, without kicking sideways; it doesn’t scrub speed on hard landings or when pounding through big holes; it turns better; and the new narrow bodywork is a huge improvement.”
The 2018 Arctic Cat ZR 6000R SX can only be purchased through the Arctic Cat Race Department.
To apply, go to www.arcticcat.com/teamarctic and click on Riders Only Information.
ZR® 6000 R SX
ARCTIC CAT® TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
ENGINE Type Gasoline 2-stroke electronic fuel injected Displacement 599cc
Bore x stroke 2.906 x 2.755 in. ( 73.8 x 70 mm)
Lubrication Premix (32:1 ratio) Arctic Cat synthetic C-TEC2™ oil
Carburetion 47-mm throttle body injection
Exhaust APV with tuned ceramic-coated pipe, pipe sensor and canister – Co-developed with Speedwerx
Cooling system capacity 3.8 L (4.0 U.S. qt.)
Starting system Manual recoil Requires 92 non-oxygenated /110 octane, 50/50 mix (min.)
Fuel capacity (Actual) 3 gallon (11.4 L)
Fuel capacity (Rated) 2.7 gallon (10.2 L)
Drive clutch Arctic (rpm sensing)
Driven clutch TEAM TS-273 driven Chaincase lubricant level 443.6 ml (12 fl . oz.) Brakes Race Hydraulic Cyclone Master Cylinder with 2-piece stainless disk
Front suspension Revised ARS™ with FOX FLOAT® 3 EVOL™ RC shocks
Front travel 10 in. (25.4 cm)
Rear Suspension SLIDE-ACTION Rear Suspension,™ FOX 2.0 ZERO C F/T shock, 2.0 ZERO RC R/T shock
Rear travel 15 in. (38.1 cm)
Overall length 124.25 in. (315 cm)
Overall width 49.25–50.25 in. (125.1–127.6 cm)
Ski stance 43.5 in. (110.5 cm)
Ski material C&A Pro XT skis
Track type SX 2.52 in. pitch snocross 2-ply
Track width 15 in. (38.1 cm)
Track length 136 in. (345.4 cm)
Lug 1.75 in. (4.318 cm)
Power Sport gauge, hand warmer, thumb warmer, windshield, check engine temp light, tether switch, ACT Hot start system, C&A PRO XT snocross skis OPTIONAL FEATURES Racepak or equivalent CAN capable data recording system, X-32 Big Bore brake caliper kit 2018 RACE UPDATES
• SX 136-in. track length
– Tested on MOD sleds previous season
– More consistent hole shots, improved straight-line stability through the moguls and up the face of the obstacles
– Better all-around traction in both acceleration and braking
• New 136-in. rear suspension
– New rail profile picks up the bump quicker to reduce chassis bottoming
– 6 in. more flat of rail on ground when comparing length change from 129 to 136 and reducing radius of the rail
• New FOX 2.0 ZERO C front track shock with position sensing grooved body
– New spring designs to support the 2 in. body (optional rates available)
• New engine package
– Improved low- and mid-range throttle response by over 20%
– Increased low- and mid-range horsepower and torque by over 15%
– Revised cylinder and exhaust valve configuration
– V-Force reeds – Revised mapping
– Improved hot start function
• New TS-273 TEAM driven and tubular driven shaft
– Based off TSS-04 with new post design for hollow driven shaft
– Lengthened shaft spline engagement improves clutch to shaft support giving better clutch and belt alignment
– 29-mm OD shaft (was 25 mm) increasing stiffness by over 7% – 2.4-lb. weight reduction with less rotating mass
• New upper chassis support structure
– Increased stiffness and reduced weight approx. 1 lb.
– Tested on 2017 MOD packages
– More ergo clearance for leg and knees
• New toe stops and stirrups – Improved toe hooking capability and added traction to stirrups
• New 3-gallon fuel tank – Reduced weight and improved rider ergos – Reduced fuel slosh
– New fuel pump location
– Fuel fi ll cap located under r/h side panel to reduce rider interference
• New seat
– Reduced weight and improved rider ergos – Lower center of gravity and more mass centralized
• Next gen side panels – Improved ergos and easier installation
– Better seal for keeping snow and debris out of engine compartment
• New upper hood
– New geometry to help deflect roost
– Utilizing the ZR 200 headlight and windshield giving significant weight reduction
• New console and side panel
-Side panel pulled forward for improved ergos
• New front nose intake
– New airbox design eliminates internal baffles and foam reducing water absorption
– Intake screens located above upper A-arms on underside of nose cone out of main roost area
• Revised ARS front suspension – Lightweight upper A-arms with increased caster and adjustable camber
– New spindle design with 1.5 in. increased distance from ski to lower A-arm for improved ground clearance
– Revised front suspension geometry with new role center, bump steer and camber, giving a more confi dent feel
• Revised electrical component placement for better access
• New rear tunnel with exposed cooler for improved hot shot cooling performance
• New 2 piece clutch guard allows easy access to clutches while maintaining protection
• Added exhaust deflector for cap off resistance